View Single Post
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by flattermann
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
327 Posts
Hi Joel,

From my point of view, Your bird (nice kite!) needs another wing-strengthening structure:
2 dehidral carbon tube-rods (at Your bird's wingspan: 6mm diameter) instead of gf-rods (too weak, too heavy), and tensioning battens across the 2 main rods (3mm carbon, massive), at the last third of a winghalf.

This helps to avoid wrinkles within the wing, and twisting during flight, as well as what I call 'counter steering moments', what means:

When You are sure that You have steered to the right, the bird follows for short, and then - due to the unwanted flexibility and twisting of the 1-rod-wing construction- the bird makes unwanted moves in other directions.

When a single-liner birdkite is hanging at it's string, this does'nt matter - wing fluttering looks nice then, and the string stabilizes.

For effective RC-purpose, a stiffer wing of vectorized single-liner bird-kites is a must.

The photo shows the improvements I made at my Eagle (similar constructed single-liner kite like Yours), with the result of much more flight stability (see the videos).

www.crazyplanes.de/eaglemini1.wmv
www.crazyplanes.de/eaglemini2.wmv

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann