Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:36 PM
Find More Posts by MAP123
AMA 964040
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Oct 2008
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproket13 View Post
MAP have you much experience with this yourself? Ill have to check it out via a range test. I hope there won't be interference, it COULD happen tho you are correct. If i notice anything I'll cut throttle..Hopefully my Orange RX with its lil antenna hanging out will stay true!! Just ordered a satellite receiver from HK just for this plane!

is the problem from the carbon rod shielding it, physically has to be blocked?? the rod is so thin, does it create a wall...This is the first time i heard of it..GOOGLE here i come. and I usually take what most things i read with a grain of salt unless its known physics..hehe

Did the range test..had the GF hold the plane up and move and twist, I'm sure the neighbors wondered what the heck she was doing. I eventually found that at 50 paces I had good signal, every which way the plane faced. It was quite easy to tell when signal was lost as the OrangeRX lights up...orange. at 55 paces It would cut out sometimes, depending on the angle of the plane. at 60, It could only grab the signal, then lost it once the RX was blocked in any way. SO it so far, seems alright Wonder what the range will be with the satellite installed
Sounds like you might not have any problem, then. I would definitely go with the satellite RX as well, as this should increase your radio range both in distance and the range of angles of orientation between you and your plane where you get a strong signal.

Just to be clear, I've never had this problem myself, but remember that it is very difficult to determine what is the actual cause of signal loss anyway. I do know that an RF signal CAN be produced by two conductive materials being in contact vibrating or just picking up static from the atmosphere. This is generally more of a concern with glow or gas powered planes, since there is much more vibration, but it can happen with electrics and sailplanes, especially since this push rod will be sliding back and forth against the carbon. Push rods, clevises, and control horns can be made from metal or carbon, but you usually try to avoid putting any of those materials against each other because of this effect. For example, you try to go metal push rod - plastic clevis - metal control horn, or plastic push rod - metal clevis - plastic control horn, but not metal - metal - metal, or metal - metal - carbon, or anything like that if you can avoid it.

Also, carbon or metal will block a signal, but that's usually more of a problem for all carbon fuselages (those sailplane guys have to mount the receiver wires outside of the fuse) or if you have a ton of carbon reinforcement in the areas around your receiver. In this case, I wouldn't think that the carbon would have any greater of a blocking effect than the metal push rod itself, in other words very minimal.

Just keep in mind, guys, that the Radian Pro is a sailplane, and we're going to be flying it out far and up high and we want to do everything we can to make sure we have a solid radio connection at all times. While this RF-producing setup may not definitely cause a signal loss on it's own, it could contribute to a signal loss problem if there are any other factors present at any given time. For example: if you are flying really high or far away, AND you happen to be at an orientation where the metal push rod or battery or ESC or something else is directly in line between you and the receiver, AND you have something onboard that is producing an RF signal, it could all add up to a loss of signal. Why take the chance? Personally, I try to eliminate as many of the contributing factors as I can find before hand. Like I said, you may never have a problem.
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123