View Single Post
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:13 PM
Find More Posts by blueman
Japan, Tokyo, Fussa
Joined Jul 2003
238 Posts
glow PCW

top side

Here are the results of my glow powder experiment. I ordered two one ounce bags of powder, Ultra green and ultra blue. Order total was $34(yikes). I applied the powder by spraying the wing with 3M77 adhesive and dusting the wing with powder. While doing this I put a large sheet of wax paper under the wing so I could reclaim what powder didn't stick to the glue. I put two layers of powder on the top and bottom. The brightness increased with each layer but I stopped at two to keep the weight at a minimum. I then sprayed a final coat of 3M77 and covered the wing with clear packing tape so I wouldn't diminish the light of the powder. The brightness is very intense for the first twenty seconds or so after charging the powder with a battery operated black light. It slowly dims but still appears to be a trackable brightness in the night sky. I will find out if it is visible during night flight this weekend(weather permitting). It lit up my whole laundry room in the dark. Flight report to come....
blueman is offline Find More Posts by blueman
Last edited by blueman; Jan 23, 2004 at 11:27 PM.