View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by aronph
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,526 Posts
those were the old two cycles-we didnt see very many of those except for older busses, firetrucks and generators. The new gen series 60 is whats in the stuff now. And yes, i can still hear. The loudest thing ive ever heard was a CAT 3406E with the intake side of the turbo off to test the bearings at full engine speed, sitting still in the shop. It literally sounded like there was an F-16 in the shop doing non afterburner thrust tests. I was way over at the other end of the shop and still had to cover my ears. Have you ever seen a semi truck on a chasi dyno?-UNBELIEVABLE......you strap the truck down in the dyno bay over top of the wheel drums that are down in the floor, get in the truck with the engine computer module in one hand and the dyno controller in the other, lock the differential in, spin the wheels to 65(ish) mph sitting still, then use the dyno to load the truck down. The engine is growling like meanest, loudest bear, the radiator fan kicks on sounding like a heli taking off, and the turbo charger loads up to 28lbs and screams like a jet, all sitting still, inside of a building, with you in the drivers seat. GOT to be the coolest sound ive ever heard..
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph