Old Feb 11, 2011, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleG View Post
I still haven't received my HD keychain camera, so maybe someone can help a little in the meantime.
I just measured the lens on one of the non HD cameras and it has an M5.5 x 0.35P thread (as far as I can measure at least). Could someone see if it's the same lens thread size?
I'm asking because I've found a supplier for wide angle lenses... well, in theory at least, I have no idea if they sell in small quantities yet; but it's worth taking a look.
Apparently the name of the manufacturer is Misumi, here's the page with the lenses. The 2.1mm focal length lenses have a FoV of 158 degrees, about the same as a GoPro Hero camera I think; I'm not sure of the FoV for the 3.1mm focal length ones, but I suppose those should be better?
OK, I see that the Inquiry button open a request form and apparently the minimum order is 100 pieces; if I could confirm the thread size of the lens then I could ask for a quotation and see how much is it per piece.
The HD key cam has a nominal M7 thread, not M6 like the old 808. I see they show an M7 x .5 lens with integral IR filter (needed!), but I don't know the pitch on the HD lens. I think this one has a coarse thread, and the camera needs the fine thread. Mine is all re-focused, so I don't want to disassemble now to measure it.

I found some other lenses with M7 x .35 thread. They cost about $25 each and available in single quantity, but has plastic aspheric optics, but no integral IR filter on the back of the lens like the stock one. And the focal length is 3.8... about what the stock lens is.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank