View Single Post
Old Feb 08, 2011, 02:26 AM
Find More Posts by AndrewBurns
Joined Jul 2008
659 Posts
My AR7000 and Neu motor arrived today, my life has become very busy again but I hope I'll get more building time in a week or two.

The first thing that struck me about the Neu motor neutron 705/2Y/4.4 is just how small it is, the motor really is way tinier than I was expecting! The Maxon gearbox hanging off the front is also positively miniature.

I weighed the motor and gearbox and they tipped the scales at 50.6 grams which is a lot less than I thought it was going to be, turns out this is because the Maxon gearbox listed on the Neu motors website is a larger gearbox for their larger 11XX series motors. Unfortunately I also bought my prop based on the data on the website and while that gearbox has a 4mm shaft the one that came with the motor has a 3mm shaft. This means that I'll have to get a 3mm shaft spinner, no big deal really just annoying. The gearbox is also far smaller than the supplied firewall was designed for and so I'll need to make a custom one (glad I waited for the motor before gluing it in).

So I'm happy with the motor, with the decreased weight I'll likely be able to get the plane flying around 550-575 grams!
AndrewBurns is offline Find More Posts by AndrewBurns