Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:18 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleG View Post
I've bought a couple 3.6mm CCD camera lenses a few months ago with the idea of replacing the stock lens of a keychain camera (or a similar camera sensor on an FPV setup), but I haven't got the time to do much about it. Disassembling a cheap web cam to test the idea yielded an adapter for the 3.6mm lens so that would make things easier. Now I just need to get a keychain camera, remove the lens support (at least partially), and see how the thing works.
I would expect having actual glass for the lens should make a good improvement in image quality, of course the penalty is that the 3.6mm lens has a metal frame so it's relatively heavy (4 or 5 grams if I remember correctly) compared with an uncased keychain camera.
Another user is also pursuing this approach.

FWIW, I have located a lens with glass, asperical lenses that has a 7mm thread which, I think, should screw right into the existing lens mount. It appears to have the same AOV of the stock lens, but has no IR filter on the rear surface like the stock lens. Downside is it costs about the same as the acmera, and still would need to have an appropriate IR filter added.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank