Old Feb 03, 2011, 06:12 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
I emptied the internal battery by letting it run (normal 2*20 minutes were recorded), then formatted the flash card (8GB Kingston). I then charged the cam for about 3 minutes via an unmodified USB, just enough to be able to start a new recording. Removed the the USB cable.
Then I started a new recording in the 10Mbps mode. After having started the recording I plugged in the USB cable (red LED went on) and waited. After about 20 minutes the yellow LED came on and the camera was recognized as a mass storage device. Waited one hour more.

When I checked the flash card, there was only a single 20 minute file present (1,5 GB). More than I would have been able to record with the 3-minute charging alone. Apparently, from the close-and-continue function only the close function worked.
Afterwards I checked the flash card for errors. No hidden files (e.g. FILE0000.chk) were found.
Thanks for the test results. Did I understand you correctly, you were using a standard USB cable connected to your PC for this test? So the recording did not continue after the 20 minutes stop and save function.

But, this is not quite identical to a standard generic wall or car charger, because they typically have no data lines connected, whereas your PC USB cable would and could communicate with your camera.

Do you have a wall wart or car generic USB charger, such as for a cell phone, that would not have the data line signals present to repeat this test? That is what we really want to know for sure. It could be that the camera detects the USB data lines when it stops after 20 minutes of recording, and THAT is what stops the "continue" portion of the sequence.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 03, 2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling