Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Hey Tom,

Have you tried both Any Video Converter and Freemake for converting MOV to AVI?

I just tried AVC and it looks better to my eye. It takes longer to convert than FM but I swear it's better. I don't know how to do an A/B test in the same window with two AVI files.

Here's the Youtube upload of a test with each converter. I didn't use any brightness or speed editors for this test file. Just the raw video converted in each converter.

What do you think? Select the Youtube link to view this in HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddhQOzIVRlw

Joe
Hi Joe,
Yes, I've tried them both. It all depends on the settings you use for the conversion. Freemake will greatly degrade your video if you use the default preset settings. Maybe you missed this earlier post of mine where I pointed this out and gave the fix? Once you get them both using the same settings, they do pretty much an equal job. Freemake can invert videos, where AVC cannot, but if you want a .WAV file of the audio for use in Doppler Speed programs, AVC can do that but Freemake cannot. I like the file trimming editor in Freemake better than AVC, which wouldn't merge clips for me as it's supposed to. Freemake merges, but you can't save or re-arrange sections like AVC could if it worked as described.

Quite honestly, my favorite, AviDemux, can just as easily (for me) and capably do the conversion (all require re-encoding), but it has the power these two do not to correct the flaws and enhance the video at the same time.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 02, 2011 at 11:49 PM.