View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2011, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
890 Posts
Ships log 30 January 2011

We finally managed to get to the lake today and Surprise sailed wonderfully. We had not been to the lake since October so this trip out was very nice.

Temperature was in the late 40s and winds out of the North from 8-10 but late in the day the winds increased and got colder so I only managed to get a few photos in about 1 hour of sailing.

Tacking back to the launch area was a bit difficult as wearing gloves and trying to sail proved more difficult than it sounds.

I cannot tell if the additional weight of the 2nd battery in the hull has pushed the bow down much. I did find that with the sails trimmed well and some weather helm, the ship really made a wake, in fact with the sails set as shown in the photos, I could not keep up with her in the bass baby. Tacking often kept her close for photos but trying to take pictures and control the chase boat as well as trying to sail Surprise proved to be a hand full. I did not try to fire the guns, that will wait for warmer weather.

The photos are the same as all the others I take, but here they are for January 2011.

I took a few videos and I decided to put them together to make a quickflick. My efforts in tacking were frustrated by the need to try to sail and take the flick at the same time. Wind also getting up some during the manuver.

Surprise at sea 30 January 2011.mpg (1 min 31 sec)

Brooks, thank you for your comment. I appreciate it.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Last edited by Paratrooper; Jan 30, 2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Add-a-flick