I was in the market too get a decent TX case too store my Radio. After looking around i seen a few different(Brand Name) styles at around $60-$80. Plus either ordering one online or getting my LHS to get one in for me.
Then i got thinking about "Do i want too Spend that on a TX Case"?
I was at Wal Mart before Xmas seeing what kind of Gifts i could get for my Siblings lol. While walking through the hardware dept ,i seen a nice aluminum style tool box.Hmmmm and it was only $19.99
Then i got the idea ..Hey i can make one myself!! Now lets get some foam! i thought. Headed too the bedding dept..Nice they have foam. I bought a block that was 16''L x 16'W x 5H''ish if i am correct.(Price $11.98) and i also got a piece of around the same dimensions,but the type that has the Bumpy top.(Price $9.99).Thought this tpye would be Prefect for the top of the TX case. These foams are a yellowish/white color, most of the TX cases I've seen have a nice sharp black/Grey foam. Ok so i need Dye, picked up some powered dye and i was set!!!(Price $4.99).
First step was too cut the foam the touch bigger then the dimensions of the Case for a snug fit. Then i got my 2 pales i use for cleaning the Fish tank. One for the water/dye and one for just cold clean water.(Yes i put the Dye in the pale i always Siphon the dirty fish tank water in)
I Cut and Spread out a trash bag.(Im doing this on Lamented flooring in the kitchen while the better half is at work.
So better not get Dye all over the place.
Got the cut pieces of foam dyed,turned out great. The longest part was waiting for the thick foam too dry. I Squeezed what i could out and it still took 2-3 days.
So after it was all dried up,i traced the outline of my radio and got a new Sharp Blade and cut it out. I cut on the inside of the line of about a 1/4 '' too make a snug fit.
I was thinking if i should glue the foam into the Aluminum case or not. After cutting the foam the size of the outside of the Case.Once in the case it fit very nice and well not move.
I have a few radios, But my DX6i is my main TX. I was thinking of cutting out 2 spaces for another radio.One of my Old 72's. I only use that radio for my OSG glider.
So i figured i would cut some slices in the foam and now i have a great space too store my battery's.
All in all i spent about $50 for materials. So i saved $30-$40. But even if i only saved 5 Bucks ,i still enjoy the Process of making/building something for myself.
So here's the finished Product.
I very pleased with it.