Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clx1 View Post
The maximum battery duration on the cam yields two files - one just under 1600MB (!) and another just under 1100MB. Time duration is 20 minutes on the nose for the first one and about 15 minutes for the second and last one. So the total battery-limited duration is about 35 minutes - as least for me.

The scene I tested this on was mostly static so the H.264 codec should have yields smaller files, like Tom's 7000kbps, but no. However, I do notice darker scenes yield smaller files. Therefore, I've never had to use a larger card than 4GB. And the 4GB card I use is only Class 2. I tried a 16GB Class 10 card in it and the difference in scenes with motion under even very marginal lighting conditions cannot be easily detected.

FWIW.

clx1
I've gotten more than two 20 min. clips on mine before the battery craps out. Both full clips were exactly 20 min. to the second. Battery capacity or charge state seems to vary on these little cams quite a bit. With the external battery now available, recording times can be very long (e.g. 5-6 hours).
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank