View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:13 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,993 Posts
What happens if memory card fills or battery gets low while recording

I just did a test to see what happens to a video recording if the memory card fills up while still recording. Happily, the camera detects the nearly full card, stops recording, and properly saves the file (as it should).

My test was with a 4GB flash card using the dedicated car charger for power. I had 4,061,822,976 bytes of video data recorded on the card with 753,664 bytes of free space remaining. The free space remaining would only hold about .85 seconds (25 frames) of video, so I think the camera did very well to record and safely save all it could!

On the down side, if the battery power gets too low to power the camera while recording, the video in progress at the time may NOT be saved. Some users report their partial file is saved, but neither of my two cameras would save the file partial clip. Ironically, though, when I flashed in the "continuous recording" firmware which eliminates the 20 min. stop/save/continue function, the file IS saved properly when the battery dies!

<EDIT> This problem was resolved with the Release 2 firmware. Files are now saved when the battery dies. <EDIT>
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add low battery info