Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Different firmware versions is a quick-and-dirty solution. A parameter file, or even a USB configuration program, is the solution any serious programmer should have used. Since the original designers didn't think about using a parameter file, or maybe were too lazy to implement one, they now have more work to do. It is no great deal for a programmer to implement a parameter file as long as he/she understands the software code - recording the data is MUCH more complicated.

The parameters (just a few bytes) must be saved to the non volatile memory which is the SPI chip (the one with the 8 legs) in this case. If the processor has some non volatile memory, this could also be used. The parameters MUST be saved to non volatile memory - please make sure that your contact guy understands this. Failing to do so will result in loss of parameters if the battery is disconnected.

The #3 SPI memory is split into two parts, the boot code and the firmware. I assume that the #11 has the same mapping.

I don't know if space has been reserved for parameters in the non volatile memory. If no space as been reserved for parameters, this is a VERY BAD design, and making a universal firmware could become a bit more tricky....
My contact claims they developed the version of the older 808 key chain camera which implemented a parameter file. So I think they know what they are doing. But apparently there are differences with the new HD key cam making it less feasible to do at this point. They have told me a version of the HD cam that can record continuously (4 hours) is in development... don't know any more about that... may have fixed internal memory, who knows.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank