View Single Post
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by Prof100
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
Do you know if it is feasable to insert a wooden dowel inside a CF tube as a long term solution? I do not know the implications of binding those two dissimilar materials on a critical load bearing structure. I did it short term and it worked but only for a few flights before I was forced to retire the plane.
I am wondering if I need to reinforce my spar as the I.D. is about 4mm or so and not .188 (4.7mm). I am thinking a 5/32" dowel insert and Gorilla Glue and be done with it.
A birch dowel is what you want in a size that snugly fits inside the stock tube you have if you cannot find CF in a size that fits. You don't want poplar dowels.

You said you did it but were forced to retire the plane. Do you mean it failed in the joint between a birch dowel and CF or what?

I am lucky enough to have KITE store that makes high end kites in my area. I would take the piece you have in your plane and go to the KITE shop (which sells me all my CF) and try to find a size that would fit in tightly, buy it an go home and glue it in with Gorilla Glue. 4 mm may fit. I don't know how big the ID really is unless you measured it with gage pin. If you can't find CF that fits then find metric birch dowels.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100