Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Jiffy, for that I would just grab a 12V lighter socket adapter and use the included car adapter. If you're powering from mains power, weight probably isn't an issue, right?
This should work and certainly the easiest solution! I believe the secret to powering the camera while allowing it to shoot video at the same time is to resolve the inner connections of the two mini-USB plug data pins. I'm pretty sure it's something simple, like grounding one or both pins or perhaps connecting them together. If someone has a female mini-USB to male standard USB adaptor cord (or with unterminated wires), it would be easy to just measure continuity between pins to see what is connected to what. Then, any mains transformer with a 5V DC output could be adapted to plug into the cameras USB plug and appear to the camera just like the car adaptor.

My "HD Camera Guy" is the same eBAy vendor (power-gps) identified in the new eBay ads I posted for the new "emergency charger". He gave his email address in one of the posts, so anyone can feel free to email questions directly to him. Don't feel that I have to be the go between... better in fact if I'm not maybe, in case he has questions on what you mean. That happens frequently due to the difficult language differences. The only thing I'd ask is that you post anything of interest here so others can share the wealth!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank