Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
Does anyone know what the thread size and diameter of the lense barrel is on these cameras? While I'm waiting for mine to ship, I am looking into some possible lense replacement solutions. I have found some prototyping lense adapters made for OmniVision sensors that could possibly be retrofitted.

My goal is to make a m12 x .5 adapter so that any of the hundreds of available m12 x .5 lenses out there could be used with this camera. I feel that the vignetting issue could easily be solved by using a higher quality lense than the one that comes with these cameras.

I have found some very capable lenses that are relatively inexpensive, with FOVs ranging from 97 degrees up to 127 degrees. Of course, they can't be used in conjuntion with the stock lense, so this would take some serious modification to the case, which I have no problem doing. It would also require some surgery to the actual sensor assembly, which I am ready to do if it will yield some worthwhile results.

I probably should have ordered a half dozen cameras to cut up

Doug
I happen to have my HD cam open, and the lens thread looks to be 6mm dia. (pitch uncertain). I'd sure like to find a direct screw in replacement that will reduce the vignetting, not a hacked one! If you come across one, let us know. In any event, if you do a hacked version, post that too and you may get the dubious honor of having the first link in my reserved Post #4 for "Frankencams"!

<EDIT> please see new measurements of the lens thread with a caliper in this post <EDIT>
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 18, 2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added ne info on lens thread diameter