Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:27 AM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
This is FYI for Windows 7 Home Premium who are playing with sticking a thumb drive and configuring 4 GB or so on a thumb drive for extra cache. Well, I just noticed the playback of several .mov HD videos were hanging up for a couple of second on the video but not on audio. Scratching my head I wondered what was different. The different was the thumb drive was plugged in and configured for 4 GB of Readyboost extra cache. When I removed the thumb drive the videos no longer hung up. I will try reconfiguring the Readyboost on the thumb drive and see if the problem occurs again.

Bill

EDIT: I simply removed the thumb drive configured with 4 GB for cache and plugged it back again. The video playback hanging up did no recur. Go figure.
Bill, I think the USB memory is going to be very slow compared to what's on the motherboard. Is it possible in your tests that the thumb drive memory was being used for the play back when it was slow, but not when you plugged it back in? I've not used the Readyboost feature even though I have several 4GB thumb drives laying around, so not sure how it gets configured. Does it only get used after the motherboard memory is fully occupied, or can you configure it as such?
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank