Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
Cool! Looks like the focus is OK?
In numberz the increase from 480p to 720p doesn't sound so much, but looking to your video in full screen, it is certainly a significant step up from the #3 in terms of definition!

Can't wait to receive my camera and film onboard!
My focus is not too bad, but I think it could be tweaked a small amount to move the depth of focus slightly further out for AV purposes. For general use with subjects both far and near, I think it's pretty good right where it is. The overall focus is a bit difficult to tell solely by looking at the compressed images in the camera's video, because the compression tends to dull fine detail like grass, weeds, tree branches in the distance, etc.

Adjusting focus in the webcam mode helps since the image can be kept stationary to better see the changes in the distant fine detail area. The only down side from that is the 640x480 image is sub-sampled off the CMOS sensor, so it's smaller and center frame biased with much less pixel width and height, you don't see how the edges of the full HD frame are affected, and that's where the focus is the worst when the center is in good focus. Sometimes backing off from the best center focus a tiny bit to improve the edge focus can result in a better looking overall image across the entire frame.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank