Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
Just a random thought - The Jaz HD camera has an AC (wall wart) charger, which ends in a micro usb plug. This charger charges the Jaz ok.
Pluging the Jaz into a PC USB port - same micro USB socket - does NOT charge the Jaz, just allows you to read the SD card in the Jazz.
USB plugs have 5 connections, 5v+ from PC, Signal +, Signal -, 0V , and the plug outer which is ground (earth for us Brits).
I found the Jaz cable linked 5 v+ and Signal+, also 0v to Signal -. which could be how the Jaz selects charger / PC reader mode.
I Don't have an 808HD - yet, so this is just floating an Idea to help towards an explantation of what is being seen.
Mike
Yes, this is what I was referring to (without the specifics) way back in my post #167. Also, since the vendor has said the camera WILL both charge and shoot video when connected to its dedicated car charger cord, I will believe that until proven other wise.

I wouldn't rely on the lack of the normal red charging LED not turning on as positive proof that the battery is not charging, because the USB connection is different on the car charger cord than it would be when connected to the computer USB port.

A more positive test would be to shoot some video until the camera battery is discharged, erase and reinsert the flash card, then hook it up to the car charger cord and start shooting video again. If the camera records until the card is full, then as a minimum the camera is getting power from the charger and not the battery. If after the test you can erase the card, reinsert it, and shoot video with the camera disconnected from the charger cord, then the battery was also being charged while it was shooting video in the prior sequence.

Ideally both the red and yellow LEDs would light when shooting video when powered by the car charger, but it might not have been practical to do that with the circuit arrangement they have.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank