Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clx1 View Post
Very interesting. However, the battery of the cam is barely good for 40 minutes, sometimes preempting even a complete second 20-minute recording. My standard file size for 20 minutes had been a little over 1,550MB so at the limit of the battery, I never filled even a 4GB card.

Oh yes, when the cam has used up the 250mAH, it is quite warm to the touch.

So, does someone know now to adapt a USB battery box to run the cam longer? Or is there a magic solution to the 250mAH battery to make it last longer?

clx1
I asked a "source" vendor about the power cable... if the camera can both charge AND record from it. Here's the reply:

" yes, can be recording and the charge at the same time , the package is come with car charge, as the car charge is special for our HD camera. other car charge will useless。 actually, the car charge just like the power supply."

That sounds much like the charger for my JAZZ HDV178 camera... it will only charge if I use the wall wart cable that came with it, or a PC USB port. And that suggests to me the USB data lines are being utilized somehow during a charge, not just the +5V. So, just a guess at this point, but to use external power other than their car charger, you'll need to bypass the USB connection and go straight to the circuit board battery connections. This has been done successfully with the original 808key cam (details in the chucklohr.com site). BUT, the old key cam used a small lipo charging circuit on the battery to bracket the voltage for the internal lipo, and the new HD key cam appears to have a small IC on the circuit board to do this. So, some experimentation will be needed to see what can and can't be done to power the camera from an external battery source.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 01, 2011 at 02:29 PM.