Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:47 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I did it just as you describe making sure I unplugge it and waited for the light to go off. I turned it on a took a video. No luck, I still have the time stamp.
There really isn't anything special about the process. If the card is in the camera with the firmware file on it, it will try to load it every time the camera is turned on. That's why the instruction to delete it after the first time you turn on the camera with it on the card.

Does the normal LED light come on as fast it in would normally do, or is there a slight delay when you turn on the camera with the file on the card? If no delay, the firmware is not loading into the camera and is being ignored. This could be a good thing!

I was told by those sources identified who are selling the cameras, that there was at least another earlier version that can not load the firmware. Who knows if there were more than one? Maybe the firmware files with the longer names only install on some earlier version, different from yours, and still different from what is being shipped today.

I guess you've tried the procedure more than once with the longer named files, and they don't work with your camera. And we know at least one camera was bricked with this process using the shorter named files. Is yours one of the ones that will work with those, or one that will brick? There is no way to tell other than by trial and (potentially $40) error.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank