View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
OK...after spending a few days, and countless hours reading, and re-reading all but a few of the threads on this "list of shame"...I have to ask...

How is belittling someone asking for help useful to a noob, and how does it promote the R/C community? How will "Castigating the offenders..." foster a positive learning environment, and enrich a newcomer's R/C experience?

As stated, I read through virtually every one of them, and multiple times. Granted, the responses were generally helpful, with the exception of a few chest-pounding veterans who felt it necessary to stroke their own ego(s) by posting vague replies, implying that they know this, and you should too. However, there are a ton of options out there, and most noobs (like me) don't even know what we don't know...that is, we are so new to this, we don't even know what questions to ask, or what to research.

Being a teacher, I can tell you it is a dangerous thing to have someone trying to learn, yet bottling up questions for fear of embarrassment. It is also very damaging to that learning process to humiliate, or "castigate" someone seeking help, or with valid questions that they don't even have a clue where to begin seeking the answers. On top of that, you are opening the door to a noob making errors, getting frustrated, and leaving the hobby behind, when a little help could have made all the difference.

This is a 'public' forum for R/C enthusiasts, and hobbyists to come together and help each other out. 99% of the R/C pilots I've met are eager to pour their aquired knowledge out to help a newcomer, and will literally stand there for hours on end answer questions, and offering advice. Some folks don't have any other community resources than what can be found online...places like this forum right here. Some people don't have a LHS that they can walk into, and say, "Hey, I'm looking for a charger...I have these planes, and these batteries...what would you recommend, and what all do I need?"

So, you can either help out, or ignore, roll your eyes, lash out, etc., and turn a frustrated newcomer off to a hobby that has its own frustrations.

How you respond to anyone's post for help (or even this post) is up to you.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen