View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by ApachePilot
Father Francis, formerly Apach
Joined Oct 2006
2,028 Posts
Here is a simple thought that I had when I began designing aircraft using the KF airfoil.

Could the reason behing the KF airfoils unearthly ability to create lift where many others cannot be due to this? We all by now have some idea how a standard more conventional airfoil works along with their coefficiencies.
I have gathered that a KF airfoil has not one, but two or more moments of lift, sometimes perhap double the lift of a conventional airfoil. ( I am most likely wrong, as I am not a aeronautical engineer, or highly skilled in this arena, but this assumption works for me.)

A conventional airfoil achieves lift because of a low pressure area on the the top side where airflow must travel faster in order for both the top and bottom to meet at the rear at the same time. This low pressure area caused by the curvature of airflow causes lift. (Laymens terms here.....)

KF airfoils with one or more steps act differently in many ways.. First we have the low pressure area created behind the leading edge. As the wing travels forward, this low pressure area begins to create the lift we need for flight. As this laminate airflow travels rearward it is met with a KF step where another low pressure area is created as a result of the vortex created by the first area and travels rearward.

This step is crutial in that it needs to be a precise distance from the leadiing edge and that it's height should not exceed a certain percentage of the wings overall chord.

I may edit this later on, just woke up and still working on my first cup o joe

I just hope it made sense....

Happy Holidays everyone.

ApachePilot
ApachePilot is offline Find More Posts by ApachePilot