View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by gbjbasdw
Joined Dec 2010
48 Posts
Discussion
Making a non-swappable LiPo swappable

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to helicopters so I would appreciate your input.

I have a new G.T. Models 5888 coaxial helicopter which is great but the battery life is a bit limited. It has a 3.7V 180mAh flat rectangular battery inside the canopy which is zip locked to the front of the circuit board.

I'd like to move this underneath the heli and use a connector so that I can swap to a new battery when this one runs down.

There looks to be a circuit board inside the insulating cover of the battery so I guess I need to have this between ANY battery and the main circuit board connection.

So the plan is ....

1) keep the two wires going from the main board to the battery circuit board intact.
2)Unsolder the battery wires from the battery circuit board.
3) Solder 2 new wires from the battery circuit board to a 2 pin connector ( JST type )
3) solder a JST connector to the original battery terminals and some new batteries which I will need to buy.

Is there any flaw in the above that I need to be aware of apart from moving the centre of gravity ?

Also, suppose I buy a 3.7V 250mAh battery for example, will this charge and power the helicopter properly or should I stick to 180mAh ones ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve
gbjbasdw is offline Find More Posts by gbjbasdw