View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,960 Posts
I will look forward to your project report! Wow, those are some terrific photos.
I am adding them to my collection. Thank you

One of my all time favorite Racing Yachts is the past winner (1994) of the then Whitbread Round the World Race (now going by Volvo RTW) the W60 Yamaha. I posted a couple of photos of this boat.

My fondness for this Yacht was further increased because back at the time of the race, Tamiya made 1/20th scale RC models of it. The models have long since been discontinued, and are now true collector's items. I am very fortunate to have two of them, one still new in original box.

When I started this thread I posted a few pictures of my RC Yamaha and few of a friend's from Germany. If you are interested, go back to #1 entry on this thread.

A little known fact is that there are two Yamaha's, both still active. The race boat below is in Newport Beach and the other one is in Europe.
Both actually raced in the same race, the Yamaha #1 won skippered by Ross Fields, and the 2nd boat raced skippered by Dawn Riley with an all female crew under different colors, had some issues during the race. Keep the pictures coming!

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 08, 2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added images