View Single Post
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:06 AM
Find More Posts by Mode One
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Looking over my cache of old RCMs I came upon an issue from June of 1976. This has a build article by Lee Renaud on his Olympic II sailplane. I must have read this article over quite a few times. At the time I was flying a foam 76 inch sailplane from Hobby Shack, called the Spirit of 76 (there was a lot of Bi-Centennial hoopla going on at that time). I remember looking forward to a built up sailplane and wondering how much better it would fly. My project for that winter had been a RCM .60 sized trainer. When I completed that airplane in the spring, I went to the local hobby shop and bought the Olympic II kits. I built this plane over the summer and late the fall of 1977, test flew the Oly II, just before moving away from the Twin Cities.

I still have this airplane. It is finished in yellow and orange transparent Super Monokote and is very visible high up in thermals. It is a great flyer and very stable on the tow! I went on to build an Airtronics Aquila. Both of these sailplanes were wonderful kits to build and great flyers! I thought that Airtronics was a very good kit producer. Also, this airplane was pretty much the first airplane that I built with CA (Hot Stuff)! It is in good shape today and the glue joints are as solid as the day they were made, which pretty much dispels the myth that they get brittle and fail, over time for me. I have found where the Olympic II is available as a short kit (but, don't remember where). It is an easy build and a fun RES sailplane that can get way up high in the sky.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One