View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,460 Posts
I've been doing some flight tests with my Alfa Model Ta-183 Huckebein.
If you are hand launching your model, you may find that a stock setup will pitch up straight away. I found the following useful for hand launching your model successfully.

* The amount of reflex on the ailerons as described in the instructions is too much (5-6mm). Reduce this to about 2-3mm. Even better, have separate servos for each aileron so that you can control this easily. I use my flap switch to adjust reflex.
* Set the centre of gravity about 5mm in front of the marked location. There a two notches on the fuselage, pretty much in line with the very rear of the canopy which marks the default CoG location.
* Have a few clicks of down trim on the elevator.
* Use only 50% throttle at launch. The Ta-183 has the wing-area so it will glide like this. I am using an MPJet 25/25-26 with the 60/15 EDF which is rated at about 120W. If you are using a more powerful setup adjust your initial amount of throttle accordingly. Go down to 33% or even 25% throttle.
* When you launch your model, ensure that you throw it flat or even very slightly downwards. Give it a firm throw but a lot of power isn't necessary - accuracy of the throw is much more important.

If you follow this, you will find that the Ta-183 will move out quite nicely, sink a little but be relatively flat with no nasty pitching.

Gradually increase the throttle and you will be gaining speed until you are at full throttle and you can start climbing. You may need a bit more space for this approach but it's much better than pitching up, stalling and nosing in!

Good luck!
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh