View Single Post
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:42 AM
Find More Posts by TheLeabres
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post
Had my Champ out today -- not too cold, but blizzard coming in tomorrow!

Found it was pulling to the right. Though that prop torque would push it to the LEFT if anything, but it was pulling right.

Rudder was dead straight. Tried to adjust the trim for max left rudder, and it was STILL pulling right.

Flew just FINE last time -- any idea why this is happening now?

Oh, and it banks right even w/o power -- i.e. gliding down....

Steve
If your Champ is "seasoned" lots of crashes, cartwheels, it could have "loose wings" like mine did as a results of repeated bending. I compared my old Champ to a new one out of the box by putting two fingers under each wingtip about an inch in from outboard as if weighing. I noticed the old Champs wings were much more "flexible" and the left wing even more flexible. It previously snapped off and was glued back. Anyways, it pulled to one side and I gured the loose wing was acting like a huge aileron? I put a taped a balsa piece across the top and took out the dihedral and the problem went away but then it flew like a P-51 fast! So I put back the dihedral and now it flies like new!
HobbyZone Champ How to Repair Broken Wing and Rudder w/Test FLight After (6 min 51 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres