View Single Post
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riserflier View Post
What factors would entice you to participate in a wood sailplane event in the Seattle area during the 2011 flying season?

I have not yet made firm plans; just looking for feedback.

Format would include: basic wood construction, thermal duration, RC sailplanes. Winch or hi-start launch; no electric launch, hand launch or aero tow. Probably have an easy-going competition that stresses flying over landing. Also would try to promote a fly-in social atmosphere for the non-competitive types.

What features of such an event would make it a particularly good time for you (competition, laid back fun, awards, etc) to the point that you would travel to Seattle to participate?

What would discourage you from participating?

Thanks for responding or sending me an e-mail.
A couple of guys came from Oregon ( maybe Washington ) to attend one of my Wood Crafter events (mother to all woody events ) and tried to have an event in their area. I'm not totally sure they pulled it off. There are a lot of woody flyers in those states, but I don't know how attracted they are to contests of any type. I think posting your question here is OK, but if your a good promoter, you have to figure out how to make contact with the flyers in your area.

One of the advantages of living in Indiana is the large number of sailplane flyers within a few hours drive of the AMA field in Muncie. This area has been blessed with sialplane flyers since day one and that probably has a lot to do with the SOAR club in Chicago and specifically Dan Pruss and his crew that in my opinion started the big bang for Sailplane contests. Gas was cheap back then and staying in a brand new Holiday Inn was also cheap.

From my view, the guys motivated to fly in contests are moldie buyers, woody flyers, not so much.

But, if you really want to have a woody contest, just do it and work hard to promote it. You would be amazed at how many woody flyers do not spend much time on RC Groups.

You may want to check out my Wood Crafters reports on my web site for activity ideas.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http://www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes