View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by cron
Gatineau, QC, Canada
Joined Oct 2007
131 Posts
I finally decided to bite the bullet. A friend of mine bought a Meanwell PS and started charging his batteries at 10A (about 15 minutes for two in parallel). Argh... My laptop PS (4A) lets me charge one battery in about 30 minutes. Time for a change.

PS: HP ESP-115 (Model PS-5551-2, Part No. 216068-002)

From what I can read, the output seems to be 30A at 12V, which is more than enough for my iCharger 106b+ (10A max).

The pins to short to make it start are the following:

N N N N N
Y Y N N N
N N N N N
N Y Y N N

There are 6 tabs on one side and 4 on the other side. From left to right, the first two are 3.3V, the next two are 5V and the last two before the pins are 12V. The 4 to the right are ground.

The first time I powered it up, I was surprised it's very silent. In fact, I thought it wasn't working properly. The fans run at 100% on connection (self test) and then go down to a level where it's barely impossible to hear them. I guess they'll make more noise when I'll start charging, but it shouldn't exceed the self test level which is quite similar to my laptop. I'm very impressed so far, but I still have to charge two batteries in parallel (tomorrow).

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the help and to give me the idea to reuse something that was going to be thrown away.
cron is offline Find More Posts by cron