Thread: Build Log ESM 74" F4U Corsair
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2010, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,941 Posts
The canopy that comes with the kit is very thin and VERY brittle. You can run it under some hot tap water before cutting it and that will help with the brittleness. However, I decided to order a replacement from Ty's Models via VQ Warbirds. Seeing as I want to make it slide open and close it needs some sort of frame to stiffen up the opening without being too thick.

I called Ty yesterday and he confirmed that he used the kit's canopy to produce the mold for his canopy, making them identical. Thus using one for the frame and one for the clear really wouldn't work well. I sacraficed the kit's canopy to aid in making the frame for the new canopy to sit on top of.

Briefly, I taped the kit's canopy to the fuselage and made a rough 1/4 balsa frame to keep the canopy's shape once removed from the fuselage. After spraying in some universal mold release I laid up a couple layers of carbon fibre cloth into the canopy and left it to cure overnight. Below are some pics of the steps and the frame as it popped out of the kit's canopy. This serves as a perfect fit inside the new canopy.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale