Thread: Build Log ESM 74" F4U Corsair
View Single Post
Old Dec 07, 2010, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,940 Posts
After the success I've had with putting sound in the TF P47, I wanted to give the Corsair the same treatment. Initially I was going to fit the speakers where the flap servo is located, but after some mental debate I wound up locating them in front of the spar and in front of the flap servo pocket. The nice thing about this location is that the weight is just fwd of the CG and I don't have to rework the flap servo location.

Here's a few pics showing the speaker locations being cut out and covers created. Opening up the wing revealed good glue joints between the wood and the glass. Comforting. I used some light balsa to sheet in the openings in the speaker box, and may add some insulation later depending on the sound. The wire mesh is glued to the back of the cover and will be painted to match the underside of the wing.

On the P47 I painted a thick black stripe on the bottom of the wing and it hid the speaker nicely. Can't do the same with the Corsair scheme but hopefully it won't be too noticable in the air.

The speak mounts are 1/4 ply plates and sunk below the wing surface about a 1/4".

The last picture shows the wing panels glued on to the center section with BVM aeropoxy and left to cure overnight. I figured it would be easier to work on all 6 flap sections with the panels on the wing. Dreading that task but will look to tackle that tomorrow if I have a few moments.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale