Old Dec 02, 2010, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by bowieb
USA, FL, North Lauderdale
Joined Nov 2006
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennz View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions.

The main reason I asked is, with no thread there is a unity of answers. Even in this thread some suggest 4 channel and others 3 channel to start with. That is where the confusion comes along.

What is important for me is if I start learning( on my own ) with a 3 channel will it be hard to have a successful transition to 4 channel plane?
The transition is not that hard. The main thing is to get used to the responsiveness of the ailerons vs rudder control. A free simulator such as FMS or RC Desk Pilot will help tremendously with learning 3-channel and 4-channel control.

Quote:
I should add that I don't have any indoor place to fly the plane, And here in Wellington city wind is something very constant. Will a 3channel trainer be able to cope with some wind ? ( 5-10Mph ) or it is better to start with a 4 channel to learn how to control it when it is a light to moderate wind?
Beginners should always start off flying with no wind if at all possible. If not, then no more than a VERY light breeze. Also, with more wind, you will need a larger area to fly in. Once you are confident controlling the plane, most planes (3 or 4 channel) can handle a moderate amount of wind.

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have access to a trainer person, so my help is going to be forums like this and reading different articles plus practicing.

Just size wise , is HZ Champ a good size for training or too small?
The small 3-channel planes should not be a problem for training. If you are going to start with a 4-channel plane, I would recommend something a bit larger.

My recommendation would be this:

The easiest (and least frustrating) way to start learning on your own is with a 3-channel plane. If you feel you must start with a 4-channel plane, try to find someone to help you, or put in plenty of stick-time on a simulator before you put the plane in the air. Just keep in mind that the simulator will be easier to fly than the real plane. If you can do acrobatics on the sim, you should be able to keep control of the real plane.
bowieb is offline Find More Posts by bowieb