View Single Post
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:34 PM
Find More Posts by s_mack
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,369 Posts
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion... but there's a few things wrong with your logic:

#1 - it isn't a $54 radio. Unless you happen to live in China across the street from Hobby King, its a $90 to $100 radio because of their inflated shipping costs.

#2 - the cost of the radio is (mostly) irrelevant. Its like saying a $20000 car is too expensive because you can buy just the body (no engine) for $15000. You need the engine. And in my opinion, the 9x is an incomplete product without improved firmware. Or its like saying your $50 shoes are too expensive because you can get a shirt for $9. (and if you said, "huh?"... that's my point)

#3 - really one should be comparing it to similar products. If its a given that you need a programmer and EL backlight, then what will it cost you do achieve that? If you don't need a programmer and/or EL backlight... then it doesn't matter what the cost is, you don't need it. But if you do, a programmer plus EL kit is going to cost you nearly $40 anyway, plus this saves all the headaches and guesswork involved.

#4 - in the end, it doesn't really matter what you feel it should cost. Like with anything else, it costs what it costs. Some will say its too expensive, some will say its a bargain... hopefully most will think its just right. Someone said there was someone selling EL kits by themselves for $60 or $80 or something like that, so I don't think I'm out of the ballpark.

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack