Thread: Discussion Micro gliders...
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 2010, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,827 Posts
I stumbled across this thread last night and nearly fell out of my chair. I knew immediately I had to build one, especially after seeing the indoor video!

I browsed the Scale Soaring UK site and found the Blanik L13 3-views. I have always liked this plane since I was a kid, and even so more recently in the wild Red Bull acro video. (Here it is in case you haven't see it
Skydiver moves between gliders in mid-air! Red Bull Akte Blanix 2 (2 min 49 sec)
) Anyway, a few hours this morning and I had it designed in CAD for ParkZone gear. It ended up with 38" span. I cut it out of 3mm Depron to see how everything fit and to check size. I usually don't have a good feeling for how a plane looks on the screen, so it's a bit of a crap shoot until it's cut and I can see it with my own eyes. Well the size and porportions looked ok, so I built it up as a "chuck glider" to check gear fit and C.G. I tossed it in the front yard and the glide is long and flat. The wings have a bit of flex, so I'm either going to add some carbon or a second layer of 3mm Depron and make it a KF style wing. I still need to figure out how to do the linkage for the dihedral tail. I may just leave it, but it would really look good with it!

Once I figure out the wing fix, I'll cut another tonight and hopefully fly it for real tomorrow. I have no idea what it weighs. I hope my Champ or T-28 will pull it!

C-ya

BTW.....I have a Reiher V2 ready to cut too
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member