Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by Cody f86saber
Pro Jet Pilot
Canada, NB
Joined Apr 2006
433 Posts
Oct 29 2010
Maiden flight.
Just before noon, with landing gear off. Walked down to a taller grass part of the field, turned on the transmitter, connected the battery. I looked at the elevator and decided it would be best to give it some up control surface throw, 25% of low rate maximum throw. Applied full throttle and gave it a good but controlled throw like a dart. Took off fast, with a left-hand twist and yaw. This would have caused trouble for someone who didn't expect it. I knew I didn't induce any roll in my launch and after gaining altitude it was confirmed my tail was molded a few degrees warped. Corrected with the stick, gained elevation and trimmed it out, needed 30% elevator (which is actually 2mm from the moving surface's leading edge), 10% right aileron. Flew great, a few close flybys and cut throttle back to 75%, then 50%, switched to high rates and did some rolls and a few 100% throttle passes. Roll rate was about 4rolls/second on high rates. When back and forth across the 60 cleared acres and varied altitude, has no problem climbing. Lined it up for a landing in the grass, decided I was too fast and re-lined it up and just then the LVC killed the motor so I glided it in, and plopped it in the tall grass through a gentle controlled stall 2' above the grass. I could not ask for a better first flight on a strange plane, the stall speed is incredibly slow and gentle. I returned back to the house at 12:05.
Surfaces measured from elevator after being trimmed:

Low Rates:
Aileron expo 50% (safe for a first flight) throw limit 35% (5mm)
Elevator expo 40% (perfect) throw limit 45% (8mm up, 6mm down)

High Rates:
Aileron expo 90%, throw limit 100% (still easy to control) 13mm
Elevator expo 90%, throw limit 100% (still easy to control) 13mm up, 12mm down

Flight duration 7-8 minutes.
resting voltage 9.7V, 759mAh used
Cody f86saber is offline Find More Posts by Cody f86saber
Last edited by Cody f86saber; Nov 19, 2010 at 02:54 PM.