View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2010, 02:44 AM
Find More Posts by Harpye
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,096 Posts
Another thing:I made the experience when pressing the plug with the depron in the mold at the location at the rim, where the depron is pressed ( plain surfaces transition to the mold / plug) there is the risk of cracks when the material is overpressed what easily is to be done with 0.8mm foam ...
As both the plain areas keep the plate in position ( huge normal forces cause friction) and the plugg part is further pulling the depron into the mold ... so I decided to modify my plugs in the way that I engraved a little 2mm wide rim around the plug positive... shown below ( Plug o.t. wheelpants. Thats a ratio of about 2mm width to about 0.2 mm overpressing ...= 10 what normally would do the job I also try to break the edges a bit with a fine sand paper

For thicker materials I eliminated the plain area from the plug and us a free swimming one which centers itself.

Good thing that the foam expands some percent due to the appliance of the heat and so rebuilts the surface details thich otherwise would be gone due to the deepdrawing process.

Hansjoerg
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye