View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2010, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by jarel design
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliman420 View Post
I probably should mention that i use jb weld epoxy.. but any high temp metal filled epoxy should work, also forgot to mention the male is cast 1to1 then sanded to size... mold some parts if you get tearing in areas and the foam is super thin then sand that area and repeat till it stops.

Some areas need more sanding then the others... theres really no set way to go about it... experiment and then modify. But BE CAREFUL do not sand it too much or you will ruin the male plug.

Since i use 025 foam.. and others use thicker foams, plug size will vary.

If one doesnt get a smooth surface on the first try, the part can be repressed numerous times untill it does, with proper mold temps and a good press there shouldnt be too many of those occasions.

Curious if vacuum forming a thick sheet of plastic into the female mold, trimming it and then pouring in your male mold would do the work of sanding the male mold smaller? (I'm assuming that you are trying to achieve a uniform thickness across the entire surface betwen the male and female mold? There would be "some" thinning around the parting line, but only by .010" or so...)

Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing all your hard work!

Best,
Richard
jarel design is offline Find More Posts by jarel design