View Single Post
Old Dec 20, 2003, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by temacc
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Safe Place to Charge lipo's

Harvey posted a week or so ago, that Home Depot (USA) had a Fire Safe for under US$20- that he bought to place lipo's in.

I found one at a local Home Depot for US$18.97. It is heavy, and designed to keep heat Out - but looks to be able to keep it In, as well.

I charge my lipo's inside it; store them inside it...with the lid locked...when I am not charging. The cord from the lipo to the charger keeps the lid from closing completely - and locking - when charging. However, the lid is heavy enough that I do not believe a fire or small explosion would cause the lid to open.

I charge in my garage, on a concrete floor, with the Fire Safe 8"-10" from anything flammable. And I have a fire extinguisher that is rated for Electrical fires, near the place where I charge. Not too near "D

I waited nearly a year to step up to lipo's, because of safety concerns. A concern I still have is: Equalization of each battery. Until I hear more from users of large packs, I won't sell my NiMH and NiCd packs...imagine the exploding energy of a 5s6p pack!

Sure love the Positive aspects of energy density!

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc