Find More Posts by sparks59
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl3vml View Post
Sparks,

I would guess that you do not have your settings (compression and / or needle) correct.

Any engine that has had it's setting "twiddled" since the last good run will be out enough to need some messing about with to get it running again.

As Chas says, straight kero/oil will also do it if it is hot enough. I have even started and briefly run an old diesel engine on a squirt of Q20 (similar to WD40 I believe) - BUT you need to know where the correct running settings are to start off with. If these are out even with the "perfect" brew of fuel you are likely to spend many frustrated hours trying to get a run out of it.
Mark
I'm sure you are correct, the settings are long gone. The needle valve and spray was missing altogether, can't recall the reason, but most probably due to a control liner 'arrival'.

Whilst giving it a few flicks last night I varied the needle setting between 1.5 and 3.5 turns out, I seem to recall it used to start/run at around 2.5. The engine wasn't flooding and there was fuel visible in the line.
I was playing with the compression screw, bringing it up, and, when feeling to tight backing it of a little. The only time it fired was a few flicks after putting in a drizzle of the easy start, only a fire, not a run.

I think Chas is right about the 70% being a weird brew, the ether smell is not as strong as it should be for sure.

Thanks for the input anyway guys, more later.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59