View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2010, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by DanL
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,499 Posts
Twisted Line for Rigging

Measured the diameter of the white twisted seine samples from Memphis Net and Twine. The attachment shows the info and the sizes that can be used at different scales. If your not too picky about exact diameter matches to scale size, a wide range of prototype diameters can be matched with the MN&T diameters. For larger scale models, I need to get more larger diameter line samples and get measurements. For smaller scale models, even the smallest MN&T twine diameter (#3 at 0.5mm) may be too large for running rigging sizes.
I got only a few samples and had to estimate some diameters, but they should be close. What I couldn't estimate was the diameter of the biggest diameter samples in their range of sizes.

I still need to look at how the line drapes and how it runs through blocks. Also need to test the stretch in the one long sample that was sent. The line is smooth, round and firm. Should look great after dyeing and a light waxing. The tarred twine I saw in Erie at the museum looked awesome.

The attachment has applicable diameter info across a number of scales. Hope this is useful.

More later.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Last edited by DanL; Sep 24, 2010 at 05:13 PM.