View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by DanL
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,499 Posts
Rigging Material

Up until now, the only sources I knew for really good looking twisted line for R/C model rigging use were expensive and the lengths too short, or making your own on a ropewalk.
On a recent visit to the Erie Maritime Museum, the modelers working on the scale model brig Niagara were using nylon seine twine for rigging. It was really beautiful looking.
The twine is from Memphis Net and Twine, comes in many diameters and in white and tarred. It's very cheap - a 1-lb spool of a typical diameter is $10 and has 2,000ft of line!
The tarred line is not sticky and doesn't leave stains. The white line can be easily stained with water based wood stain.
The unknowns:
1. Many sizes, but specified by a gauge # that gives no clue to diameter.
I sent a request to Memphis Twine for sizing samples. If they send the samples, I'll write up an accurate diameter table.

2. Beatiful looking, but how much stretch?
I'll measure stretch on the samples relative to my home-made twisted polyester line that has very low stretch. Other nylon twist I tested had a lot of stretch, but this stuff is supposedly low stretch - important for scale operating rigging.

3. How does it work thru operating blocks and how does it drape, etc,
I'll run some tests and post. Supposedly doesn't unravel as easily as
normal twisted line.

If I can get the samlples, are there any other things to test or look at?
This would be a great source of scale line if it works out.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL