View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Onward and upward.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,866 Posts
NC Fly,

This is good, let the questions fly! I was going to print out some of the build pages from the web site build articles but decided to bring my laptop downstairs to the basement with me instead. It's easier for me to think when I can see the color photographs!
The keel on my boat was the pre-built option. I decided to have them(Victor) make it correctly and save me the trouble of possibly making mistakes. The articles say to use only epoxy-resin for the keel. I am going to permanently bolt and epoxy it to the hull as I have heard too many stories of it leaking! There doesn't appear to be a strong enough reason not to.
The radio board that screws to the keel trunk and forward main bulkhead shelf, is what I'd like to do. If any component needs maintenance, it will be easier to access them that way. Both of my bulkheads, the main and aft, will be enlarged in inner diameter with the plywood reinforcement doublers installed. I will use a Hitec sailwinch servo with a double sided servo arm to reduce the mechanical parts count. The receiver batteries will go forward of the mast/forward bulkhead for better weight distribution.
The hull will be painted but I haven't decided on a color yet. The sails will be stock to start with and we'll see how they do. Since I'm the only one out here( I think) with one of these boats, I figured I'd sail it around a little and see if it would draw any interest at the local park lake.

Randy

P.S. I've been looking at this paint scheme.
Pilatuspc12 is online now Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12