View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by TopSpin
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Control surfaces. I like to use the Du Bro nylon hinges in these larger models for a couple of reasons. First, they are much sturdier than the plastic strips supplied by GWS with the kit. Second, they can be flush mounted to make a very close fit but still have full control movement.

I start by marking the position of each hinge and then just use my exacto knife to cut the slots. I always cut the slots a little wider to allow for some adjustment when I do the final installation. After test fitting all of the hinges and control surfaces prep the hinges by coating the center of each hinge with Petroleum Jelly but be very careful not to get any on the tabs. I use GWS glue to install the hinges and find that it works well and gives me a little time to make adjustments. The Petroleum Jelly keeps the glue from contaminating the hinge pin and also keeps any excess glue from sticking the surfaces together. When you are done they should operate very smoothly.

Notice I went a little extra on the elevator cut. Not very scale looking but I like a lot of elevator surface. In the photos you can see the close fit of all control surfaces but they are very smooth and give me almost 90 degrees of movement, way way more than enough. I'll use the transmitter to adjust the throws when I set it up.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)