View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by straycatuk
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2010
86 Posts
First Flight

Ahhh... I remember my first flight only about a month ago.. I own four planes.. Art-tech Cessna brushed...Never flown. Utra-fly C14.. still boxed and unbuilt.. Unknown Balsa and Ply P51 Mustang... and My new recently purchased Parkzone P51 micro..all to my wifes amusement, cos she just thinks its a waste of money lol . I have spent many years messing around on Microsoft flight Simulators as well as being in a Flight sim Clan for 6 years and using Aerofly deluxe. I had managed to learn how to hover my Walkera 60b helicopter and fly around my garden , all self taught, which also I could build blindfolded due to crash damage, but I was aching to fly planes. I had the Cessna about 4 years ago but was afraid to fly it. The Ultrafly and the Unknown P51 mustang I bought recently and the Parkzone , just over a month ago, then my brother told me about a group of friends he knew who flew electric gliders that meet up at the local park quite often and that we should tag along and get some advice. I took along my PZ P51 micro and met one of the guys there flying his electric glider 3 channel and learnt that he had aircraft for years but' had just recently learnt to fly his 3 channel glider. I watch for a while, then took my micro from the box, turned tx on, inserted the battery.. did a flight check all looked good.... held my breath..facing a very ,very slight breeze at 3/4 throttle, held aircraft in left hand ,by the canopy, right hand on right stick with slight down elevator. then a gentle under arm throw...... then ...wow she was in the air.. I banked to the left and did a few circuits for about 5 mins , my hands were shaking and my heart was pounding...what a rush.. I did a gentle land on grass ,as I didnt want to get over confident and crash, plus I needed to stop my knee's from knocking.
The other guys who had been watching were interested in the Micro and said what an excellent flyer I was.. I was a bit embarassed to say it was my first time. I changed the battery as I had bought a few spare ones and flew all afternoon without one mishap. One of the guys bought along a big nitro trainer and said he had been flying for around 30 years, only thing was he crashed just after take off.. had a servo fault.. but I noticed that he had'nt done any preflight and took off in a crosswind. I have flown that baby nearly every evening after work. weather permitting and even fitted Nav lights from Tinybrite lights so I can see her at dusk. now I'm gearing up to build and fly the others and fly with the big boys......
Ian
straycatuk is offline Find More Posts by straycatuk
Last edited by straycatuk; Sep 14, 2010 at 12:34 PM.