View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by jimmyhorns
winchester, UK
Joined Jul 2010
195 Posts
I really think you need to have someone who flys with you. There are several reasons for this:

1) If something happens to you (you chop your finger off, have a heart attack e.t.c.) they will be able to summon help.

2) If they are competent at flying they will be able to tell you where you are going wrong, where you are going right, and how to improve.

3) Its much nicer to have company

4) Its much nicer to have someone to help you look for your plane after an 'incident' or look after your kit while you have a pee in the bushes).

5) Anyone worth their salt will look over your plane, make sure its put together ok, make sure the control surfaces are set correctly, and really importantly, trim the plane out on its first flight.

6) They will settle your nerves, and allow you to think about what you are doing rather than panic. Panic = wild control movements = crash

If you are not in full control of your 'plane at ANY point in your flight then you probably need some help from someone more experienced, and they need to be there to help, not on a forum in an ideal world. This is often best acheived in a club setting, and this also helps to make things safe for others.

I 'buddy boxed' to learn, and indeed to come back to his hobby after a 10 year break. I could not recommend it enough. It allows someone to get you out of trouble, and lets you relax a little knowing that someone is there who can help. A second best to this is someone who will take the transmitter off you and get you out of trouble if you really need it, and give you advice as you fly, training you up as you go.

Ive had no crashes (with powered flight anyway my glider is a slightly different story due to a hi-start incident) either when being taught with the buddy box approach or since I have been 'ok-ed' to fly solo. I dont think this is because I am an excellent pilot, I think its because I was taught well.

If you do have to fly on your own I would suggest the following:

1) fly on 'low rates'. If your transmitter allows there will be a high and low rate setting for rudder and elevator. Low means less movement, which means you dont have to be so gentle on the controls. Since most people tend to use too much stick input, this especially helps when you are starting out. If this isnt possible on your transmitter, you can often adjust the amount of throw on a control at the servo horn, just move the rod in a hole or two. your planes instructions should tell you about suggested throws.

2) when you get into trouble, be it orientation or otherwise There are two tricks.

a) Throttle back (less speed is almost always good especially if you are heading towards the ground)

b) Allow, or make the wings level using small control inputs.

3) dont try anything fancy. Basic circuits with a landing approach on every other circuit will set you up nicely. Nothing worse than 'having' to land rather than planning and practicing to land.

Hope this helps and isnt too condescending.

James
jimmyhorns is offline Find More Posts by jimmyhorns