The Comet Stinson SR-7 - Another Free Flight conversion project - Video Addeded
View Single Post
Sep 08, 2010
, 10:46 PM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
I was able to make some additional progress today. First up was applying the printed tissue to the cowl. Once that was done the cowl was glued to the forward fuselage former. The printed tissue has light outlines for the cowl bumps that will be added later. Having the cowl bump outlines sure does make it easy to get them all in place and properly aligned around the cowl.
I should have next made up the 18 cowl bumps that are needed. I was not in the mood to do that tedious task so I took care of a few other details. The windshield panels were cut out and installed.
Following the windshield installation the tail surfaces were installed and the control surfaces were connected to the pushrods. The controls work perfectly with the magnet connectors. Way more separation strength than is needed. The equipment tray pulls out with no difficulty and the stops on the pushrods work as intended in keeping the control surfaces from being over deflected. I am quite happy with the overall arrangement.
After getting the control surfaces hooked up I just had to try taxing the wingless fuselage around the house. I wanted to see if the rudder would be responsive enough a low speeds to steer the model ... yea, thatís why I wanted to taxi the model. Barely moving the throttle had the fuselage scooting across the floor. The rudder did indeed have enough power to easily steer the model. I am very happy at this point.
Oh yea, I did place everything on the scale. Allowing for a few more details to be added to the model it appears the final weight with a 160 mah lipo cell will be 52 grams. That is 7 over my target but should not be an issue in terms of flying performance.
View all Images in thread
Printed tissue was applied to the cowl and then the cowl was glued to the fuselage.
Lightly printed outlines for the cowl bumps will make their eventual installation much easier.
The windshield panels have been installed so the fuselage is sealed up and ready for flight.
The installation of the tail surfaces and connection of the control surfaces was straight forward. Everything is working as planned relative to the removable equipment tray.