Thread: Discussion Miss Geico - Maiden voyage
View Single Post
Old Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,954 Posts
OK how does on tell if the flex shaft is wound the right way?

OK,
This is an official dumb questions. Besides the flex shaft coming un-wound, how does one tell if their flex shaft is wound in the appropriate direction? I did grease up the shaft with lithium marine lube before running the boat, and it had no issues. Shaft is still free without any abnormal symptoms.

Another item. In the EKOS thread, there are a number of mentions of installing a piece of properly sized fuel hose (CVT) on the end of the flex shaft between the stuffing box and the shaft coupling to prevent loosing a shaft if the coupler lets go. Good? Yes, No? Sounds like a good idea to me but, hey I am a sailboat guy, moving to the "dark side"

OK no brake. I am understanding that the brake setting would lock up the motor when you release the throttle? Which I guess would be like throwing your car in park on the freeway. Good to know.

I have owned a number of high performance boats and truly understand, they don't have real brakes. I mentioned in another thread, how important good or exceptional eye sight and depth perception is to this kind of hobby/sport. Exceptional hand to eye coordination is pretty darned important too!

"Back in the day" in my yout, I had those qualities, but now I am in my "middle early's" and recognize some of those wonderful blessings have deminished a tad! Thus, my caution in "pushing the envelop" before I am ready. Ever try pushing an envelop? What a dumb saying! Where the heck did they come up with that one? Anyway, these little guys can get away from you, and just as it is in RC flying, one little mistake can be very expensive!

Ok, here's the deal on tape. I agree it is a good safe guard, but in my experience, sooner or later, it screws up the paint job! So, I work hard at making sure my hatches are water-tight or darned close to it! (without the tape.) In that regard, I will be adding a ring of weather stripping around the inside of the hatch rim, in addition I have ordered some Proboat thumb screws, which I will install in 4 places to insure hatch seal integrity. (Pictured below on a buddies Blackjack) The compression on the inside hatch is actually pretty good from the factory. I'll test it before making my improvements to see how good.

I will be doing some "tub" testing to make sure what ever safe guards are in place are fully functional. Having RC Sailboats, I can share with you that they are equally prone to taking on water, as they heel over, and occasionally get "knocked down" (on their sides) in heavy winds. By necessity, I have picked up some tricks along the way, and will be incorporating some of those ideas on this little guy to keep it's inner's dry.

Thanks all for the feed back!!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1