View Single Post
Old Sep 05, 2010, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by Conehead
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,254 Posts
Went to Tustin today. Down the road apiece from Cadillac and went to the CAMP's fly-in. They have a very nice field, trees to the north, open area to the south and the west side is lots of trees and a swamp. It was windy, about 10-14 mph winds for most of the day. I finally put my Corsair up and landed it with no trouble and got out the Flutter-By. Everyone said, You going to fly that!! I said sure, Jack says it will fly in 20 mph wind, so I should be able to fly it. I went to the flight line, wind rolled the Flutter-By over. I then picked it up, throttled up, off it went. I think the crowd was speechless. Up it went, into the wind and I did a couple of loops and flew around for about 3 to 4 minutes. I landed, wind blew it over. I walked out, set the Flutter-By back up and into the wind, the announcer said, go up again, we need to fill another minute or two. I then throttled up the Flutter-By leaped off the ground, straight up, everyone held their breath, I leveled out and did a few more loops and then sort of hovered it some and then I flew around a couple of circles and then I came in and landed it into the wind and everyone was amazed. It flew in the wind, I made believers of them and proved that Jack is right.
What a hoot. I was the only one up, big crowd of spectators who were amazed that this Flutter-By flew in the wind.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014